Vida Harvest partners have been actively improving the lives of small scale farmers for over 20 years, promoting cooperative development models and provide access to social, intellectual and financial capital.
Vida Harvest works with farmers, market intermediaries and the social enterprise sector to shift production to organic value-added crops that are marketed in North America and Europe.
As a consequence Vida Harvest increases income, promotes sustainable agricultural practices, and secures food production for rural communities in Nicaragua.
Vida Harvest's mission is to improve living conditions and increase stability for small scale farm families in Nicaragua through promoting sustainable agricultural practices, inserting small scale farmers into value chains, and facilitating direct relationships of trust between farmers and buyers.
What We've Achieved
- 1,150 small scale organic farmers work with Vida Harvest directly.
- Purchase $2 million + of organic product directly from farmers annually.
- On average export 660 MT organic sesame; 520 MT organic peanuts; 150 MT organic cotton
- Established direct relationships with large clients lasting over two decades.
- Vida Harvest farmers currently have 3,900 acres of certified organic land planted in sesame and peanuts.
- Incomes for typical farm families increase by 43% working with Vida Harvest.
- Created 850 farm and processing jobs.
- Established a shared risk investment fund, the Vida Fund, that partially finances planting, crop collection and processing at low interest rates.
- Run our own sesame processing plant for cleaning and hulling.
- Run our own cotton gin to process organic cotton.